Self-Assessment

Intersectionality

This had to be my favorite assignment, not only because it was about something personal in my life but also because it was a topic not many people knew about. At first I did struggle a lot with the topic, I knew i wanted it to be related to illegal immigrants but what aspect about it I wasn’t sure. Although, after seeing the topics my fellow classmates came up with it I got a better idea as to how i wanted my presentation to go I felt that every time we went over cultural identities and intersectionality it became a lot clearer.

I believe that this task was something necessary because you could actually tell, in my opinion, as time went by how the topic of “intersectionality” began to click in our heads as we got a better understanding of it. There’s still so much I don’t know about it, of course, but if it wasn’t for this class my knowledge on it would be practically nothing. I was able to take something from each presentation, not just my own. I hope to do a lot better next time if the task ever comes up again, but consider I’m taking Women and Gender Studies next semester it probably will.

Tongue Tied

This group project was actually quite interesting to do, seeing as we all had to do our own research about a different aspect of it. We met up multiple times to talk about the reading, how it related to the movie, any connections we saw or what we thought we could include in the presentation. We learned a lot about the culture itself, but my favorite part from the whole project was when we did the reading together and discussed it. What we each took from it was very interesting, hearing everyone’s perspective on it and what stood out to them most was fun. One thing I do wish we did though was gotten together while everyone made their slides to make sure we stayed on task, maybe that would’ve helped me realize that I had gone really off track from what I actually wanted to talk about.

Originally, my focus was on how Asian-American students behaved differently in both schools, yet in some aspects they were they same-like when it came to speaking in front of the class. Each slide was suppose to mention how the each school system was different but how the students behaved was still up to them in a way. I don’t know how or when I lost track of what i really wanted to include in my slides but I regret to say that I ended up talking about something that wasn’t as related to our topic until you stated that there wasn’t an actual point to it. It really didn’t hit me until that moment, so I hope to keep that in mind next time so that I make sure to stay on task.